It’s that time of year again when pumpkin spiced flavored everything hits the stores and we think it’s only fair that your pup get to join in as well! Made with only four, wholesome ingredients, our pumpkin flavored dog treats are soft, chewy and healthy as well as super simple to make and enjoy. We just know that these seasonal sweets will be a new favorite with your furry friend and have them begging for more!
- 3 1/2 cups flour (white or whole wheat)
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup applesauce
This recipe is meant to make a lot of cookies (around 85). If you would like fewer than that, we suggest cutting the recipe in half. If you need help with information on how to properly measure and cut eggs for partial amounts, we suggest clicking here.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In an electric mixer bowl, combine pumpkin, egg, and applesauce together until well blended.
- Add flour and mix until all the flour is incorporated. Dough should be smooth and not crumbly. If too dry, add more applesauce one teaspoon at a time until desired texture.
- Lightly dust countertop with flour and roll dough out to approximately 1/8″ thickness. Cut out shapes with your favorite cookie cutter.
- Lay cookies on greased baking sheet and bake for approximately 13 minutes. Let cool completely before serving to your pup. Enjoy!
These cookies are meant to be soft and flaky but if your pup likes a little more crunch, they can be baked for longer. If so, we suggest turning them over so they can brown up properly on both sides. This recipe can also easily be made organic by simply buying only organic or free-ranged ingredients. Because there are so few ingredients and the recipe is so simple, it can easily be altered for each individual pup’s likes and dislikes!
We found that these cookies have a shelf-life of about a week in a sealed plastic bag or container, but can easily be frozen for an anytime dessert. And because this recipe makes so many cookies, giving them as gifts or doggy goody-bags can be a fun and easy Halloween treat for all the pups in your life! Plus, pumpkin is rich in fiber and vitamins and can aid in a dog’s digestion and overall health. You can’t go wrong!
Like all our recipes, these pumpkin cookies were tested and approved by our furry friends at home and we’re happy to say they passed the test! They’re quick, easy, healthy, fun to make, and your dog will thank you for such a special, seasonal treat. Try these treats at home for yourself and let us know how your pup liked them! Did you change the recipe at all? Do you have any baking tips or tricks? What’s your favorite homemade dog treat? We’d love to hear from you!
Happy official first day of autumn friends! ❤